Most patients know that you should avoid sugary foods and drinks to keep your mouth healthy. However, some foods can break down tooth enamel, create excessive acids or increase the odds of tooth decay. Dental implants are an option to help fix damaged or lost teeth, but a better solution is to keep teeth and oral tissues in the best condition possible. Here are eight foods and drinks you should avoid for healthier teeth:
1. Citrus Containing Beverages
Too much of fruits and juices can make the mouth highly acidic, weaken tooth enamel and lead to tooth decay.
2. Sugary Foods And Drinks
Too much sugar increases bacteria around teeth and lets plaque build more easily.
3. Coffee Drinks
Coffee stains teeth, attracts bacteria and can cause excessive plaque build up. Coffee also usually contains high amounts of sugars and sweeteners which are acidic and erosive to the enamel of your teeth.
4. Pickled Food
Foods with high vinegar content de-mineralize teeth, making them susceptible to decay. Additionally, pickled foods typically contain sugar which makes them twice as dangerous for teeth.
5. Sticky Foods
Sticky foods can be impossible to wash off by just drinking water. Reminants of these foods on teeth attract bacteria, form a destructive layer of plaque on the surfaces of your teeth and can cause cavities. These foods are often also loaded with sugars, promoting the growth of bacteria in your mouth and accelerating tooth decay.
6. Chewable Vitamins
Chewable vitamin supplements often have high levels of refined sugars added. Chewing on vitamins seem healthy, but can actually encourage cavity formation by attracting bacteria, forming plaque, and creating an acidic environment that erodes enamel.
7. Dark Foods And Drinks
Wine, tea, berries, sports drinks, cola and sauces stain teeth. These foods and beverages can also be extremely acidic, which can cause enamel to more easily erode and cavities to form.
8. Simple Carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates quickly turn into starch in the mouth. Starchy foods also can get lodged between teeth, which can lead to excessive plaque buildup and cavity formation.
How To Avoid Cavities
Here are some great ways to help care for your teeth if you choose to consume dangerous foods:
- Don’t brush your teeth right after sugary or acidic drinks because it can be abrasive to softened enamel. Drink some water and wait at least 30 minutes before brushing.
- Floss your teeth after meals.
- Avoid sugars. Dentists recommend drinking water after eating them and brush your teeth at a later time.
- Use a straw to limit liquid contact with your teeth. Drink water or milk after sugar drinks.
- Eat cheese after eating a pickle or sour foods. Cheese is high in calcium and neutralizes the acids in your mouth. Milk also adds neutralizing effects.
- Chew sugar-free gum to increase saliva and wash away dangerous acids.
- Rinse your mouth with antibacterial mouthwash.
- Take vitamins in capsule form whenever possible.
Come To Advanced Dental Center Of Florence For All Your Dental Needs
If you have been hiding your teeth because they are damaged, broken or missing, dental implants could be the perfect solution for your needs! Because they are permanent, strong and beautiful, many patients and dentists prefer them to other tooth replacement options. Still want more information about the benefits of dental implants? Please feel free to peruse our website and learn more about the dental implants process, the benefits and our financing options. Then call our Florence, SC office today for a consultation. We can’t wait to help you get a healthier and more pleasing smile with dental implants! Call us today for a free consultation.