Everyone knows that teeth are important, but many people do not have extensive knowledge about the little facts that relate to our pearly whites. Here is a list of facts about teeth and dental hygiene created by the staff at Advanced Dental Center of Florence so that or Florence, SC don’t have to depend on dental implants to fix their teeth:
· An average person has 32 teeth. That number includes 4 wisdom teeth. We have 8 incisors, 4 canines, 12 molars and 8 pre-molars.
· Teeth are made out of a mixture of calcium, phosphorus and mineral salts.
· The hardest tissue created by the body is tooth enamel.
· Flossing is important because avoiding the cleaning sting means you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces.
· The more time food remains in the mouth, the greater the chance for decay.
· The average person brushes for about 45 to 70 seconds a day, but the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes per tooth brushing session.
· There are more than 300 types of bacteria in dental plaque.
· Dentists recommend that patients keep their toothbrush at least six (6) feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles that splash when you flush the toilet.
· The calcium and other ingredients found in cheese are healthy for your teeth because they help reduce pH levels in plaque and re-mineralize your tooth enamel.
· Ancient Romans used a mixture of bones, eggshells, oyster shells and honey to keep their teeth clean.
· Eating sugary foods after meals decreases the chance for cavities. Eating sugary foods alone increases the chance for tooth decay.
· The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough saliva to fill 2 swimming pools.
· Just like finger prints, tooth prints are unique to each individual.
· If a tooth gets knocked out, it starts to die within 15 minutes. However, placing the tooth in milk or holding it in your mouth helps it survive longer.
· American as a whole buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.
· The average American will use only 14 inches of dental floss every year.
· More than 51 million hours of school are lost each year by children due to dental related illness.
· Doctors recommend that patients replace their toothbrush after an episode of flu, cold or other viral infections. Microbes and other germs can stick to the toothbrush bristles leading to re-infection.
· In the middle ages, people believed that dog’s teeth boiled in wine made an excellent mouth rinse for tooth decay prevention.
Come To Advanced Dental Center Of Florence For All Your Dental Care Needs
Here at Advanced Dental Center of Florence we believe all of our patients deserve superior dental care and the best services at the most affordable costs. If you live in the Florence, SC area and want to know more about how you can protect your dental health or repair damaged teeth with dental implants, call us for a consultation today. Still have questions about dental implants? Please feel free to check out our specially created dental implants website where you can learn more about the process, benefits or financing for amazing dental implants with Dr. Griffin. Call us today for your no-obligation dental implants appointment.